Sunday, February 7, 2021

Net worth and Financial Updates - Almost 1 year since March 2020

What a change of mood and retail sentiment in the stock market between Mar 2020 and now, Feb 2021. 

Oh yea, remember, Singapore is still in one of its worst recession historically and the world in still fighting the pandemic.

What did Old Turtle did since Mar 2020 when market tanked to the lowest and my stock portfolio lost around SGD 180k unrealized or around 36%-40% as I am almost 95% vested in the market? 

Well, I did nothing much but just by staying calm (don't read too much financial news and chats in InvestingNote, LOL) and executing my plans accordingly while I am luckily (I really have to count my lucky stars) holding on to my full time job, unaffected by the recession unlike many of my countrymen in the tourism and aviation sector. 

Major Actions:

1) Local Stock Market: With limited cash, I recycled one of the stock that had performed very well during the pandemic, I sold 30% of Sheng Siong in Apr/May 2020 and reinvested into some of the more affected stocks like Hongkong Land, Straits Trading Company, SPH Reits and Keppel Corp in SGX.

2) CPF: I continued to transfer my OA to SA during the same period since I am still fully employed with no reduction in income (once again, lucky).

3) Overseas Stocks: Started to diversify away from SGX and start investing in US, Hongkong and Australia stock markets, mostly in healthcare and technology stocks.

Current Stock Portfolio










Personal Networth

My personal definition of total networth = Total Cash Asset (can be disposed and converted to cash within 3 months) + Total Illiquid Assets like property and pension savings (ie CPF in Singapore context).














Below are the major contributors to my total cash networth and just like more Singaporean. 

Stock Portfolio: Market to market.

Residential Property Valuation: Valued the property at cost price which is around 60% higher than my cost price at current resale market price. Reason being, I do not want to artificially inflate my networth as there's no chance of me selling my residential property and realized the property gains. In any case, I have already paid up the HDB.

CPF:
Included Ordinary Account (OA), Special Account (SA) and Medisave Account (MA) in the calculation.

Debt/Liabilities: ZERO

Financial Goals Set and Accomplished before age 40
  1. Met CPF SA Full Retirement Sum $181,000 in Sep 2020
  2. Total net worth exceeded SGD 1 million
  3. Fully paid-up residential home. 
  4. Zero debt

Future Goals
  • Continue to build the retirement pillars, CPF LIFE, Stock Dividends and Bond Interest, make them stronger, make them last longer.
  • Spend more time with family and elderly parents.
  • Continue to upgrade myself after completing the MBA in 2021.

Food for thoughts
  • Having financial goals and execute them with discipline is important.
  • Always be financially prudent whether you are making $10k or 5k of salary per month for example.
  • Ignore "noise" an be focused on the goals you set for yourself.
  • Spend quality time with your love ones, parents, wife and children and never say you have "no time" because no time is an excuse.
  • If possible, go debt-less so you have more "options" in life and yes, financial independence.
  • Always be prepared and ready to pond on any opportunities.
  • Every crisis is an opportunity and do not waste a crisis.

Have a plan, Execute it !!!

Plan for the worst, Pray for the best !!!

4 comments:

  1. No secret ... biggest contributor to networth is ..... tada! Active income!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my twin brother!

    Almost thought you had gone MIA without a blog post for months ;)

    Superb progress smashing that $1m benchmark! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Envy, how to get so much cash with fully paid HDB and kids?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Active income, high savings rate and invest. No secret actually, all about discipline.

      Delete